The Nordic Network in Metaphysics is an informal network of those philosophers in the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden) that have an interest in metaphysics. Membership is free and open to whoever wants to be associated with the network. The aim is to arrange one meeting per year, democratically rotating the responsibility of organisation between the Nordic countries.
Read more about the network
- Panpsychism and Robust Value RealismWebinar Nov. 27, 2020 Philip Goff, Durham University Panpsychism is the view that consciousness is a fundamental and ubiquitous feature of the physical world. Robust value realism is the view that there are irreducible facts about value. Perhaps the biggest challenge for the robust value realist is how to account … Continue reading Panpsychism and Robust Value Realism
- Laws Loosened: How to make Way for Freedom in a Law-Governed WorldWebinar Nov. 20, 2020 Helen Stewart, University of Leeds In this paper, I shall consider a number of different ways in which philosophers in recent years have attempted to offer conceptions of natural law which in various respects suggest that the grip of law on reality might be less tight … Continue reading Laws Loosened: How to make Way for Freedom in a Law-Governed World
- Flatworldism: a defenseWebinar Oct. 30, 2020 Anna-Sofia Maurin, University of Gothenborg Flatworldism is a view on the nature of reality according to which reality lacks structure. Prima facie what this means is that reality’s inhabitants are not sub-dividable into the more and less fundamental such that what is more fundamental (at least … Continue reading Flatworldism: a defense
- Metaphysical approximation in Metaphysics of ScienceWebinar Oct. 23, 2020 Rasmus Jaksland, Norwegian University of Science and Technology In science and particularly in physics, we have a developed notion of approximation. We possess, in many cases at least, quantitative means with which to assess the epistemic risk of using an approximation (i.e. Newtonian Gravity) rather than a … Continue reading Metaphysical approximation in Metaphysics of Science
- Types of Dynamic Continuity in General Process TheoryWebinar Oct. 7, 2020 Johanna Seibt, Aarhus University GPT is a mono-categoreal process ontology, with non-transitive part-relation as the basic relationship among the basic entity called “general process”. General processes are concrete, yet indeterminate (general), dynamic individuals. While according to the GPT the world is a field of interconnected processes, … Continue reading Types of Dynamic Continuity in General Process Theory
- Main Questions of MetaphysicsWebinar Oct. 2, 2020 Jani Hakkarainen, Tampere University
- 4th Meeting of the Nordic Network in Metaphysics: November 27-28 2018, GothenburgThe Nordic Network in Metaphysics organises its 4th meeting on the 27-28 November 2018. This meeting is hosted by the department of Philosophy, Linguistics and Theory of Science at the University of Gothenburg. The meeting features presentations from junior academics (PhD-students and postdocs) affiliated to a university in the network … Continue reading 4th Meeting of the Nordic Network in Metaphysics: November 27-28 2018, Gothenburg
- Estonia Now Included in Nordic Network in Metaphysics!It has been informally agreed to also include Estonia in our informal Nordic Network in Metaphysics. The first Estonian philosopher to be added to our list of members is Eve Kitsik, Research Fellow at the University of Tartu, Estonia, who works in metametaphysic. Welcome Eve!